Monday, August 26, 2013

Mad about the final season of Mad Men!



"It's all about the detail. That's why I love all those vintage things. It's the details." - Christina Hendricks.

Christina Hendricks recently told The Associated Press going to be difficult when the seventh and final season of "Mad Men" starts filming this November.

"I just want to milk it as long as possible," said Hendricks, who plays my personal favourite character on the show, Joan Harris, on the AMC drama. "I want to really enjoy this last season every second that I can because it's been a really special time for me and a really special show." I couldn't agree with you more, Christina! 

What keeps me glued to the show, apart from the great story lines and excellent acting, is the show's signature fashion, created by costumer designer Janie Bryant. And the style has really seen a revival in streets and offices everywhere. 

When Joan got married in the show, you watched her starting to wear higher necklines, and then power suits joined the character's rotation when she was promoted at the show's advertising agency.


Thinking back when I got married (19 years ago already this month, wow!), my dress style did not change at all. Did you change your dress style when you got married? Maybe that's a 60's thing. But one thing never changes about her look: her updo!  

Christina's personal style is very different. For the AP interview, she wore an Alice & Olivia zebra-printed top, teal Stella McCartney cigarette pants and neon-yellow Jimmy Choo heels. Not something you'd see Joan wearing in the show!

"For me personally, I think I'm a little bit more playful than I think Joan is," she said. "I think that reflects in my clothing. I like things with a bit of whimsy and a bit of romance."

That hasn't kept some of the "Mad Men" midcentury style out of Hendricks' wardrobe, though. "I never had a pencil skirt in my closet until I was on `Mad Men,"' she said.



Her favorite outfit during the show's run? A knee-length, belted purple dress with a silk fuchsia scarf, which was re-created for the Barbie collector doll. "It has a little kick-pleat in the back," she said. 


All I know is I will savour every episode that's left in this series, and get lots of fashion inspiration from it. 

Has Mad Men's style influenced your personal style? Are you experimenting with pencil shirts, form-fitting tops and scarves? Personally, my style is somewhere between Betty and Joan, depending on my mood :-)

In case you need some tips on how to recreate this iconic style, check out one of our other blog posts on that subject here: How to recreate the Mad Men Chic 60's chic today
Let me know in the comments how you create your own personal Mad Style.

Style on my friends!


Cristel
(Interview credit: The Associated Press.)

3 comments: